San Agustin de Callo, Haciendas Ecuador
San Agustín de Callo is one of the two most important archaeological Inca sites in Ecuador and is the only lived in museum of Inca Imperial and Spanish Colonial styles. Since the 15th century, San Agustín de Callo has served as Inca fortress, Augustinian convent and temporary home for the scientific research of the French Geodesic Mission. In 1921, the Hacienda was purchased by the leader of the liberal Revolution and twice-elected president of Ecuador (1901 and 1912), General Leonidas Plaza Gutierrez, whose son Galo Plaza was also president in 1948. The Hacienda has remained in the family to this day and is currently owned by the General's granddaughter, Mignon Plaza, whose father, the distinguished congressman and legendary amateur bullfighter, Jose María Plaza, played a pivotal role in politics.
Located in Lasso, Province of Cotopaxi 77 km. south of Quito on the Panamerican Highway.
- San Agustin 001.tif
- Juan Ayora Images
- Image Size
- 6144x4081 / 71.8MB
- Contained in galleries